Set at 800 feet in the wonderful Peebleshire countryside, the old Victorian gardens at Portmore have been recreated by the current owners Mr and Mrs David Reid over the past 30 years.
The 1.5 acre Walled Garden, which is at its height between mid July to August, has splendid double herbaceous borders, a potager, rose garden, pleached lime walk, ornamental fruit cages and much more. There are large Edwardian glasshouses which contain an Italianate Grotto with ferns and exotic plants. Outside the Walled Garden is the Water Garden with specimen trees and shrubs leading to a Woodland Walk and views of the Borders landscape. Below the house lies a formal garden of yew hedges with a water feature and box parterre.
Featured in Kenneth Cox's Scotland for Gardeners, starred in the Good Gardens Guide and various magazines including The English Garden May 2013.
How to find us
We are located 1 mile outside of Eddleston on the A703. The entrance is marked by a lodge and stone pillars.
We can be reached on the number 62 bus from either Edinburgh or Galashiels.
- Victorian Mansion House with mature woodlands and views of unspoilt Borders
- Restored walled garden with various "rooms" using carefully controlled colours
- Large well maintained Edwardian Glasshouses with a wide variety of plants
- Water Garden with shrubs and meconopsis leading onto the woodland walk and house
- Vegetable and fruit garden with propagation area
Available upon prior request.Available upon prior request and at other times of the summer.
Available upon prior request and at other times of the summer.
- Herbaceous Borders & Plantings
- Water Gardens
- Rose Gardens
- Edible Gardens and Vegetables in Season
- Walled Garden
Opening TimesWednesday: 13:00-17:00 also:
Private viewings available upon request during the summer but not Sundays.
Please check the website for latest information. Closed for 2021.
Admission pricesAdult: £6.00
FacilitiesCar park Toilets Wheelchair access Dog friendly Assistance Dogs
Plants for sale.
We’re sorry there are no scheduled events at the moment. We’re always updating our site so please continue to come back and check